Friday, August 2, 2013

Adjusting

It's been a few weeks since my last post.  I wanted to wait until I had something to write about and now I have a long list!

First off - our van.  After taking it to a mechanic and a body shop, we found out that the transport company most likely lost it off the trailer at some point.  The damage added up to almost $4000 to the front bumper, hub assembly and axle.  The hub and axle have been repaired at the companies expense and we are waiting for our appointment to have the bumper replaced (also at their expense).  I kind of feel like we are getting a new van!

The house - I started working on little things around the house.  There was some paint in the garage so I touched up the baseboards.  Next, the boys ceiling fans needed some attention and after taking them apart, we decided to replace them.  I also installed new smoke detectors in case my wiring skills were a little rusty.  I spray painted all the covers for the bathroom vents (yes all 5) and most of the furnace vents.  My last bit of spray paint went on the lights on the front of the house.  I did not take before and after pictures but it was not very exciting, it just gives things a little pick-me-up.  I also added numbers to the front of the house.  It was my first time drilling through brick and I realize I need an impact drill so I don't have to use one bit per hole! (hint to Steve)  Other than that, a few rooms got curtains to block the lovely overwhelming sun.

All of the little jobs went pretty well then I clogged the kitchen sink.  I should have learned 16 years ago that there are people who can have garbage disposals and there are those who cannot.  I am definitely on the cannot side.  After working at the clog for several hours and pouring several chemicals down the drain, I removed the pipes and used my snake with no success.  When Steve got home, we decided to look at the wet bar pipes on the other side of the wall.  We discovered that they were rusted and falling apart.  For the first time in my life, I conceded and called a plumber.  I tried not to feel defeated, after all we have a home warranty and we should use it right?!  He came out and fixed it saying that it was good that we called.   The sink started dripping the next day and after a return trip, the plumber said the garbage disposal needed replaced.  I was inclined to get rid of it altogether but, the home mortgage covered a replacement with installation.  Maybe I won't use it...ever.

My next issue happened with the refrigerator.  It was not closing properly and the water dispenser was leaking slightly.  I ordered a new gasket for the door and went to Ace for a small tube to replace the piece that was dripping.  Things did not go well and the door closes worse now.  In addition, I flooded the kitchen, dining room and garage overnight by putting to much tension on the water dispenser hose.  Oops.  Steve said that I need a job so I will quit trying to "fix" things.

Enough about my "money pit" issues.  We had two families come visit and swim.  Steve's co workers came and we had a really nice time visiting and getting to know them.  Steve's mom and step dad also came for a weekend visit.  It helped curb our loneliness a bit and it was fun to show someone the house.

Jazmyn heard back from a gym about a coaching job that she will try out next week.  Clarke continues to train for cross country despite the heat.  Blake had a week off of football but will start back on Monday along with band practice.  I went into a temp company and filled out paperwork, interviewed, and tested.  My plan is to start working in September after the boys get settled in school.  Steve leaves for his first business trip (since moving here) on Monday.  I am thankful he got to stay and get us settled in.  Hopefully all the major issues with the house and move are done.   I have learned to watch the weather and get around town a little as well as pump my own gas!

For our last bit of news, we have a new addition to the family - Introducing Link Bruno:





We promised the kids that when we got settled we would look for a dog.  Clarke really wanted a Siberian Husky and Blake really wanted a German Shepherd so we compromised and got a Australian Shepherd.  After looking through the paper and online, he seemed like a good choice.  We have only had him for 5 days but he is pretty docile.  He likes to play a little but cuddling, sleeping, and chewing on things are his favorite things to do.  The boys are learning the trials of potty training him and it is going okay (some days better than others).  I hope that by the time school starts in 17 days, he will be well-trained!

Tomorrow is "tax free" school supply day.  The boys register for school Monday. Jazmyn starts her job next week and Steve is leaving for Dallas.  It should be a busy week - the kind I look forward to!  I hope all of the friends back in Oregon are well.  We still feel like we are on a long vacation but it is about to get real!

No comments:

Post a Comment